Photos by Dean Kalyan.
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness? Being in flow.
2. What is your greatest fear? That my children will suffer.
3. What is the trait you most deplore in yourself? Jealousy.
4. What is the trait you most deplore in others? Cruelty.
5. Which living person do you most admire? There are many. Right now, the fearless integrity of Sally Yates outshines them all.
6. What is your greatest extravagance? Books.
7. What is your current state of mind? Reflective.
8. What do you consider the most overrated virtue? Purity.
9. On what occasion do you lie? Christmas Eve.
10. What do you most dislike about your appearance? My fingernails.
11. Which living person do you most despise? I am trying hard not to hate.
12. What is the quality you most like in a man? Kindness.
13. What is the quality you most like in a woman? Kindness.
14. Which words or phrases do you most overuse? Awesome. Seriously, I say it every day.
15. What or who is the greatest love of your life? My wife.
16. When and where were you happiest? With my family.
17. Which talent would you most like to have? Other than writing? Singing.
18. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be? I’d sleep less. Write more.
19. What do you consider your greatest achievement? My family.
20. If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be? A catalyst.
21. Where would you most like to live? Right here.
22. What is your most treasured possession? My wedding ring from Idir.
23. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? Letting fear dictate one’s choices.
24. What is your favorite occupation? Writing and public service. (I am a dual careerist.)
25. What is your most marked characteristic? Loyalty.
26. What do you most value in your friends? Authenticity.
29. Which historical figure do you most identify with? Emily Carr.
31. What are your favorite names? Lauren, Jasper and Elijah.
32. What is it that you most dislike? War.
33. What is your greatest regret? Not speaking up.
34. How would you like to die? Like Lou Reed.
35. What is your motto? Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity. — Lao Tzu
Now, tell me: How would you answer the Proust Questionnaire?